Research Institute of Agricultural Economics
About the institute
Established in 1954, AKI is the most significant centre of agricultural economics research in Hungary.
The most important core functions of the Institute are data collection related to the agricultural economy and data-based policy research.
The Department of Information Systems manages European Union compliant information systems including the Farm Accountancy Data Network, Market Price Information System and Agricultural Statistics Information System.
Its Departments of Research carry out mainly database- and policy analysis-driven research.
AKI’s key research areas are:
- sustainable bio-economy and policy evaluation;
- natural resource management in agriculture;
- resource-efficient agri-food value chains;
- rural development and programme evaluation;
- development opportunities in freshwater aquaculture.
Beyond its above detailed research and data management duties the Institute also develops innovative decision-making tools for agricultural stakeholders.
AKI is composed of three professional departments.